Robert Hickson was a civil engineer and the first President of the Sydney Harbour Trust established in 1901.
After the bubonic plague broke out on the Sydney waterfront Hickson was appointed chairman of an advisory board on harbour-foreshore resumption in 1900. In 1901 he became first president of the Sydney Harbour Trust and began a programme of improvements which among other things provided a vast wharfage, diverted sewers discharging into the harbour bays and instituted measures for preventing pollution of port waters. He sat on royal commissions on improvements to Sydney and suburbs in 1908-09 and on railway decentralization in 1910-11.
During his twelve years in office Hickson oversaw the upgrading of facilities at Walsh Bay, Darling Harbour, Pyrmont and Woolloomooloo. Hickson Road is named after Robert Hickson.
When he retired on 31 December 1912 he had been responsible for the expenditure of £6,250,000 in capital works on the Sydney waterfront. The Imperial Service Order was conferred on him on 24 June 1910.
For more on Robert Hickson see Australian Dictionary of Biography.